Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A different kind of writing

It was some time since I last wrote to order. I had almost forgotten how utterly boring that can be, and an academic essay, even at the lowest possible level, is still writing to order.

At best I get to argue my position on a given topic, at worst there's an absolute truth that must be adhered to. I this case I have the option to void the topic where there is only one politically acceptable truth, and thus I still get to argue my case.

Well, it's good exercise if nothing else. Non-fiction is a totally different beast than fiction. And I did get the pleasure of seeing things from a different perspective. At some 600 words a piece those essays will force me to brevity, but I know people who find writing those pages a daunting task. The difference in opinion? One quarter of a million words of manuscript written.

No comments: