Friday, May 04, 2007

Critters and crits

I've been adding quite a few more members to our crit circle, and it would seem we're reaching stage one of critical mass.
Always an active submission in the pipeline.
Stage two would be when there is always an active submission of any member's preferred genre, but it will take some time before we reach those numbers.

In the meanwhile I have also submitted a few crits, an activity that some call a time thief but I believe are hours well invested in my future writing.
Analysing someone's text is perhaps the best teacher when it comes to identifying weaknesses, tendencies and strengths in your own writing.

I know some of my fellow writers frown on crit circles. They're bad. They're limiting the artistic soul of the writer, shackling creativity and an evil crutch only the unable needs.
I disagree.
Quite frankly I think those arguments are bullshit and the kind of narrow minded vitriol the sign of an embittered moron caught in stagnation.
Others still frown upon the circles because the activity takes too much time. I disagree, but that is an argument I have nothing but respect for.

We are humans.
Only by measuring our dreams and deeds against those of others can we truly find our future. The day we stop only our deeds are left, and others will measure theirs against them, and they will be surpassed, because we are human, and it is in our nature to change and develop.

2 comments:

Lisa Cohen said...

I agree with you about the importance of giving and receiving critique. It has been and invaluable experience for my own writing. I think it is difficult to analyze one's own work. When we look critically at another's writing, it is then easier to see patterns in one's own.

At least that's been my experience, both in poetry and in fiction.

Crit on. :)
(a fellow FMer (ljcblue)

Sten Düring said...

Hi there. Always fun to see a friendly face so to say ;)

Yup, I'll do, with or without a chainsaw handy dependent on prior agreement -- always prior agreement.

Sten