Monday, February 12, 2007

Editing and outlining

I never thought that editing an outlining would get in the way of each other, but here I stand.

The current book needs to be a self contained story with only minor problems left unsolved. I'd prefer the next one to take off where this one ends in a natural way. That requires that those minor problems grow into the main conflict that needs to be solved.

Timing.

How do I allow the current story to run its course to a satisfying end that still lends itself to a continuation in the form of another book?

Timing.

It's a matter of lying to the reader without lying to the reader. A contradiction in terms it may seem, but that's really not the case. I need to create an end where the reader feels that one story has come to its logical end, or at least to a perceived satisfying end. I also need to leave it open to a potential continuation that would essentially be a new story, or, in reality, a perceived new story.
It's a little bit like creating one story where Napoleon is victorious and then writing another where the French fights a losing war. Two stories and yet one. Lying to the reader without lying to the reader. All in all it's a matter of timing.

The task has turned out more difficult than I had imagined, but it is still but a task, and those are to be done.

Eventually.

When I understand where the magic moment in mine can be found.

Timing.

No comments: