Thursday, November 22, 2007

Back to square one

I've come to realize that the weave needs to be told from the beginning. At least from the beginning of this particular story, which means I have to revisit The Taleweaver once more. Of course an edit, no matter how major, will be insufficient, and so I find myself facing a total rewrite of a story I abandoned well over two years ago. Do I find this daunting? Yes. Do I find it abhorrent? No.

There was a reason I began a story where I once did, and another that I chose to tell the story I told. That reason carried over into Frays in the Weave, and was explored further there. Still, Frays depends too heavily on Taleweaver to be told independently. Too many causes remain unclear for any reader unfamiliar with the abandoned story, and too many effects make no sense for such a reader. The reason being they aren't seen as effects at all, but rather has events free from the laws of causality, something that was never meant to be.

Now, do I retell the old story in new words? No. That would place me in the very same dead-end which caused me to drop the story in the first place. Do I write an entirely new story? No. That wouldn't solve the problems with Frays.

I believe I need to tell the story around the story. That I need to shrink the original story to the degree where it becomes but one small, albeit important, piece in a larger puzzle. That I by doing so can create a new story which incorporates the old and introduces a new, a more vivid and enchanting one, that will properly pave the grounds for Frays. Frays needing a rewrite as well notwithstanding, but that, as they say, is a later problem.

There are characters and events in Taleweaver that starved for want of attention, and nourishing them should better explain and make believe the characters, the events, and the world shaped from their interaction, both in Taleweaver as well as in Frays.

I believed I wove, but with but one strong strand all I did was to string myself a rope. Rather than making a noose I will untwine it, save the strands that can be reused, spin new ones of my imagination and make another attempt to weave.

No comments: