Friday, June 01, 2007

Another contest

After a long delay I finally sent a submission to the short story contest with a deadline today. A flash rather than a proper short, as I realised yesterday that the story I was writing simply didn't cut it. Now, don't you start reading any words of mine that this flash would do, because I didn't write that.

Sometimes we simply have to give up a path taken and return back. The story I wrote in Swedish might have worked in English, but the languages are simply too different to be used for the same tale. Things like melody and rhythm differ, as do vocabulary of course, In the end what is pleasant for they eye and your mouth, when you silently whisper the story in your head, in one language becomes clunky and unwieldy in another.

We'll see what happens.

No comments: