Monday, January 08, 2007

Between writing the outline

I need sessions to cleanse my mind from what I'm doing to do it at all.

Did that make sense?

Outlining and world building is in a way a more creative process than the actual writing.
It's the part when I imagine what I'll later write that troubles me. Outlining is by definition such a part. I need to think and dream and discard what I come up with.

So, cleansing sessions.

Play a game. Check, we do that once a week.

Read a book. Check. I love reading.

Do crits, and by all means receive them. Check. I'm lucky enough to be part of a hard nosed crit group. Reading a story with critical eyes, needing to analyse it to be able to give useful input and try to convey what I have noticed to the writer.
It goes the other way of course. I need to try to understand how my text looks in the eyes of another when I receive a crit.

Exchanging crits is an absolutely wonderful way to force myself to think outside the box, and I promise you -- living with a manuscript for several months makes that box very, very small indeed.

Once again, the words here mirror how I am wired. What works for me.

No comments: