Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Crapometer entry parsed

And axed.

Among other advice when sending queries to agents and editors there's one saying that we should avoid sending our query in, for example, a metal box playing a cute tune.
That is, keep it plain, professional and stick to having your words being the only thing that stand out.

I failed, and badly so considering that we only send words.

There are moments when we should try to be smart, and there are those when we're so smart we fool ourselves.

Rather than sending in a straight hook following the standard format, in as much as there is a single standard format, I tried to make my 'hook' look like a newsflash by a fictive reporter. Didn't work. Didn't work because it was the verbal version of that metal box, and now I know not to do it again.
Good lesson to learn from.

This is a good example why these kind of exercises are good for us. We get to make those mistakes before we actually submit our work to a paying market. And we get to learn from our mistakes before they get costly.

For those interested in seeing how a hook should not be written here it is as a warning example.

5 comments:

Inkwolf said...

Dude, I was one of the commentors on your hook, and just wanna say that I hope you're not too discouraged by the response. I for one, really like the idea of some Indiana Jones-type reporter out there where the universe is falling apart, trying to get the hot story. :)

I've probably made similar mistakes to yours--waiting for mine to com up, and I think the words 'unfocussed' and 'wtf' are heading my way...I got a little too hyperactive with my hook.

Anyway, hang in there!

Sten Düring said...

Discouraged? Not at all ;)

I knew I was taking a chance when I tried to play smart -- I should have done so well if trying in the first place.

Until I'm able to break the rules superbly I'll stick to the rules.

Thank you very much for dropping in here. It's great to notice someone's reading my ramblings here :)

Anonymous said...

I liked the idea too. I'm trying very hard to get freelance work from my local newspaper; journalism would be my dream job. Unfortunately, they won't consider anyone without a journalism degree. Pretty funny, when you consider what they pass off as journalism each day. But hey, we all have to start somewhere, right?

Sten, you showed a lot of courage by taking that chance. Even though it didn't work out as planned, we learn from these things. It's all good.

Sten Düring said...

Thanks again.

Well, now the MS is shelved for a month. Time for it to mature so to say.

Anonymous said...

I just read mine again after four months, and putting it away for a while is the best thing I ever did.

Here's hoping we both have better luck in 2007. (Happy New Year, BTW!)